Overview of the BAF Alumni Network
The mission of the William Averette Anderson Fund (Bill Anderson Fund / BAF) Alumni Network is to ensure a continuum of support for historically underrepresented professionals in the field of disaster and hazard research and practice.
BAF Alumni Network Executive Board
- Mosi London (Chair)
Transportation Planning Project Manager, AECOM
- Asia Dowtin (Vice-Chair)
Assistant Professor of Urban and Community Forestry, Michigan State University
- Hans Louis Charles (Fiscal Chair)
Assistant Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Lucy Ampaw-Asiedu (Secretary/Historian)
- Donta Council (Membership Chair)
Research Advisor, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1 – Fellowship and Mentorship
To provide a support network for BAF Alumni (and affiliated members, e.g. non-BAF Fellows, emergency management professionals, etc.) through fellowship activities with current and future BAF Fellows.
Goal 1 Objectives
- Coordinate fellowship activities including scheduled and planned facilitated discussions, webinars, panels, etc.
- Develop mentorship program with informal and formal peer-to-peer advisement between current BAF Fellows and BAF Alumni with senior professionals in the field of hazard and disaster.
Goal 2 – Funding and Professional Development
To provide BAF Alumni (and affiliated members) access to academic research funding opportunities.
Goal 2 Objectives
- Provide access to research funding opportunities through the continued update and dissemination of existing applicable academic and research grants and scholarship programs.
- Allocate funds raised through BAF Alumni efforts to support members’ academic, research and professional development efforts including grants for current Fellows.
Goal 3 – Research Advancement and Sponsorship
To provide support and opportunities to advance and publicize research and publications of BAF Alumni and BAF Fellows.
Goal 3 Objectives
- Support early career professionals in the field of hazard and disaster research and practice by promoting published research and conference presentations.
- Create process to disseminate relevant research to affiliated members as well as research of BAF Alumni and BAF Fellows via newsletters other media platforms.
- Advance and fund hazards and disaster research related to underserved U.S. communities.
Goal 4 – Hazard and Disaster Community Support
To provide educational and professional support to the hazards and disaster community.
Goal 4 Objectives
- Provide seminars that focus on the connection between theory and practice.
- Organize networking opportunities for students, scholars and practitioners.
- Promote informal and formal natural engagement and interaction with communities most impacted by hazards and disasters.
Goal 5 – Mental and Cultural Awareness
To provide a venue for BAF Alumni and affiliated members to discuss and debrief on issues related to personal, professional and societal mental health and cultural issues.
Goal 5 Objectives
- Develop safe-space for BAF Alumni and affiliated members to share experiences and best practices with anonymity and confidentiality if needed.
- Create innovative virtual and in-person opportunities for support to be both received and provided (e.g., mental health response email inbox).